The Wilkes County Board of Education encourages the community and parents to be involved in and support the schools and the educational program. To encourage involvement, the following opportunities are provided to visit the schools:
• visitors are welcome at the schools to observe and learn about the educational program;
• visitors are encouraged to use facilities made available to the public, such as the media centers or meeting space, as provided in Board of Education policy 5030, Community Use of Facilities; and
• visitors are invited to attend public events, such as athletic events, musical programs, and dramatic productions.
While visitors are welcome, the paramount concern of the Board of Education is to provide a safe, orderly and inviting learning environment in which disruptions to instructional time are minimized. The superintendent and each principal may establish and enforce reasonable rules to address this concern. In addition, the following requirements apply:
• All school visitors must report immediately to the administrative office at the school to sign in and obtain permission to be in the school. If the school staff desires, visitors may be issued a visitor’s permit. Each principal is responsible for ensuring that signs are posted in the school to notify visitors of this requirement.
• Any staff member who sees an individual in a school who has not received permission must either direct the individual to the administrative office or notify the principal, depending on circumstances.
• Students should notify any staff member of any unusual or suspicious behavior that may endanger safety. Staff must report immediately to the principal any student’s information or their own observation of such behavior.
• Any individual who disrupts the educational environment, acts in a disorderly manner, damages school property or violates Board of Education policy or law, may be requested to leave. Such individual also may be prosecuted and may be prohibited from attending any other events sponsored by the school district for the remainder of the year.
Legal References: G.S. 14-132, -132.2, -159.11, -159.12, 159.13; 115C-523, -524, -526
Cross References: Community Use of Facilities (policy 5030)
Adopted: January 9, 2006