The following procedures are established to eliminate unnecessary idling of school buses:
A. Idling Times
1. Buses should not idle longer than five (5) minutes.
2. The following are considered extraordinary circumstances or circumstances beyond the driver’s control for which an exception can be made to the five-minute idling rule:
a. While waiting in traffic
b. While loading/unloading students with special needs, as necessary
c. for traffic, safety or emergency situations
d. for maintenance or mechanical inspections or repair
3. To maintain interior warmth during cold weather, buses should be driven to the school as close to the scheduled pick-up time as possible, then turned off while waiting for students to load.
B. Bus Parking on School Grounds
1. Buses should not park “nose to tail” When it can be avoided.
2. Buses should not idle while loading or unloading on school grounds or at school related activities.
3. Buses should not park on school grounds near building air-intake systems, unless the school district has determined that alternative parking locations interfere with traffic, impair student safety or are not cost-effective.
4. No bus should run without the driver being within three feet of the bus.
Adopted: January 9, 2006