Wilkes County Schools

Skip to main content
Mobile Menu
Public Notice
Human Resources » WCS Benefits

WCS Benefits

Benefits and specific programs offered by Wilkes County Schools are listed below.
State Retirement
To be eligible for retirement, you must be considered a permanent full-time teacher or employee of a state-supported board of education. Six percent of your gross compensation automatically goes toward your retirement each month.
You are eligible for unreduced retirement when:
  • you reach the age of 65 with 5 years of membership OR
  • you reach the age of 60 with 25 years of credit, OR
  • you earn 30 of credit at any age.
You are eligible for reduced retirement when:
  • you reach the age of 50 and complete 20 years of creditable service, OR
  • reach age 60 and complete 5 years of membership service.
For more information about your retirement benefits, click here or visit the Department of State Treasurer website. You may also manage your retirement account at Orbit Online.
Supplementary Retirement Benefit Providers
Wilkes County Schools offers a diverse selection of optional supplementary retirement benefit providers. A list of approved financial benefit providers can be accessed below.
Medical insurance is offered through the State Health Plan using the Blue Cross Blue Shield Blue Options network. Click here for more information regarding the State Health Plan, or visit their website at www.shpnc.org. You may also use eEnroll to review your current benefits or make any necessary changes.
Pierce Group Benefits also offers a comprehensive Benefits Package to all eligible employees. The products in the package are voluntary, employee-paid benefits, and eligible employees may choose the programs in which they wish to participate. Employees should meet with a Benefits Counselor during the enrollment period to select products or make changes to their benefits.

BenSelect Benefits Portal allows employees to manage their benefits for any Pierce Group Benefit product including Dental, Vision, FSA, Life Insurance, and Colonial Products.
Dental Insurance
Dental Insurance is offered through Sunlife Dental. Coverage is available for employees and their dependents. For more information on what the plan offers, go to www.slfserviceresources.com
Vision Insurance
Vision Insurance is offered through Superior Vision. Coverage is available for employees and their dependents. For more information, visit www.superiorvision.com. The flyer below includes directions on how to find in-network providers and log into the Member Portal to review your benefits coverage, request and print ID cards, download forms, etc.
Flexible Spending Account
A Flexible Spending Account allows employees to elect a specific amount of pre-taxed money to be deducted from their monthly paycheck to cover eligible out-of-pocket medical expenses. An FSA account is offered through AmeriFlex. For more information regarding an FSA, visit www.flex125.com.

Dependent Care Spending Account
A Dependent Care Spending Account allows employees to set aside pre-taxed payroll deductions to reimburse the expenses associated with day care for qualified dependents. For more information, visit www.flex125.com.

Term Life Insurance Program
Eligible employees automatically receive $5,000 of term life insurance at no additional cost. Employees may choose to purchase additional term life insurance for themselves, their spouse, and their children at competitive rates. For more information, visit www.assurantemployeebenefits.com.

Colonial Insurance Programs
Eligible employees may choose from the following Colonial Products:  Cancer 1000, Disability-Educator Income Plan, Medical Bridge 3000, Accident 1.0, Critical Illness 1.0, Term Life 1000, and Universal Life 1000. For more information on each of these policies, visit www.coloniallife.com.

Employee Assistance Program
Wilkes County Schools offer therapy services for individuals, groups, families, and couples. Initial sessions are free for WCS employees. Rebecca Lowe or Jodi Province Counseling are the approved counseling services that you may contact. Contact your school assigned Human Resource Specialist for more information.