A. GENERAL PRINCIPLES
The Wilkes County Board of Education believes that the Stone Family Center for Performing Arts (SFCPA) should be used to the fullest extent for educational and entertainment purposes. Such utilization of school facilities should be available, not only to school age children, but also to governmental and civic organizations. Organized community groups, therefore, shall be permitted and encouraged to use the SFCPA for worthwhile purposes for a minimal charge to cover the cost of utilities when such utilization does not interfere with school sponsored programs.
In order to provide for orderly use of school facilities and protect the public investment in school facilities and equipment, all arrangements shall be subject to the provisions which follow.
B. PRIORITY FOR USE OF SFCPA
Priority for the use of SFCPA shall be as follows:
1. Use for school sponsored curricular and extracurricular activities.
2. Use by school related organizations including parent-teacher associations, public school employee organizations, public school alumni organizations, public school booster clubs and any other organization or association affiliated with the Wilkes County Schools.
3. Use by non-profit organizations including civic and service clubs, churches and other religious organizations, political parties recognized by a state or county board of elections, non-profit youth organizations (such as scouts, little league and similar organizations), non-profit recreational organizations (such as YMCA and YWCA) and professional and occupational organizations. Priority will be given to groups whose objectives closely align with the objectives of the Wilkes County School System.
C. APPLICATION FOR USE OF SCHOOL FACILITIES
The superintendent or his designated representative is authorized to approve and schedule the use of the SFCPA by organized school groups for whose activity no admission charge is made. Any group using the SFCPA must assume full responsibility for cleaning the area utilized and for any damage that might occur to the facility. A responsible adult must contact the superintendent or his designee a minimum of two weeks in advance of the date of use in order to schedule the organized school group into the facility.
The Board of Education has developed an application for the use of the SFCPA by any individual or group for any purpose other than school sponsored curricular and extracurricular activities. This application form is an integral part of this policy and must be completed prior to the time of intended use. The superintendent or his designee must also receive the appropriate fees before the group or organization uses the facility. No use of the SFCPA shall be permitted without the approval of the superintendent or his designee.
When required, there will be a negotiated charge for a sound and light technician.
D. GENERAL REGULATIONS FOR USE OF SCHOOL FACILITIES
1. The use or possession of firearms, other weapons, alcoholic beverages, tobacco products or illegal drugs on school property is strictly prohibited.
2. Loud or profane conduct on school property is prohibited.
3. The user shall not violate any federal or state statute or any local ordinance, including all federal and state laws prohibiting discrimination.
4. The facility shall be maintained in a clean and orderly manner and shall be returned to officials in the same condition as when received.
5. No equipment and / or supplies shall be loaned or borrowed from the facility.
6. The SFCPA shall not be used later than 11:00 PM or on Sundays or holidays without specific consent.
7. The user shall provide complete supervision of all activities.
8. The user accepts full responsibility for any personal injury or property damage which may occur during the time period of use of the facility. Wilkes County School System is not liable for any personal injury or loss of personal possessions.
E. FACILITIES USE BY NON-PROFIT ORGANIZATIONS
Scout groups, political parties, churches and other nonprofit organizations shall be charged according to the approved fee schedule for use of the SFCPA. Fees are listed below.
|PER HOUR CHARGES
F. SUPERVISION BY SCHOOL REPRESENTATIVE
A custodian will be assigned to each event and will be compensated at the rate of $15.00 per hour.
G. USE BY GOVERNMENTAL AGENCIES
This policy does not apply to the use of school facilities by the Town of Wilkesboro, the Town of North Wilkesboro, the Town of Ronda, the County of Wilkes or such other governmental units as the Board of Education may specify. Separate contractual agreements shall apply to the use of any school facility by governmental agencies.
Legal References: Equal Access Act, 20 U.S.C.A. 4071 -4074; Community Schools Act, G.S. 115C, art. 13; 115C-524(b)
Adopted: May 8, 2006