Wilkes County Schools

Skip to main content
Mobile Menu
Empowering youth to lead and succeed in the global community.
Public Notice
Enrollment » In-County Transfers

In-County Transfers

In-County Transfers for Students in Grades K–12
If your child attended a school in Wilkes County (for grades Pre-K through 12) during the 2015-2016 school year and you need to enroll your child in a different Wilkes County school for the 2016-2017 school year, please complete the following steps:

1) Complete the information on this link: In-County Transfer
2) During August 2016, a school staff member will contact you by email or phone to schedule an enrollment appointment at the school. You will need to provide the following documents when you go to your enrollment appointment:
  • Photo ID of parent/guardian
  • Proof of residence - A utility bill with the service address (power, water, etc.), mortgage statement, rental/lease agreement, buyer’s agreement, homeowner’s or renter’s insurance policy with address, or a property tax statement. Please note: If a student’s parent or legal guardian does not have a verifiable residence but is living with a resident of Wilkes County, the parent or custodial adult and the county resident may sign a Wilkes County Schools Statement of Residence Affidavit to satisfy the residency requirement. Any of the items listed above can be used as a proof of residence for the county resident. The school will provide the Statement of Residence Affidavit.
  • Proof of guardianship - Can include birth certificate, divorce papers, Social Services paperwork, or paperwork signed by a judge awarding custody. Custody paperwork authorized by a judge or Social Services/foster care placement is required for all children not living with their natural parent. Please note: If a student is living with an adult who is not their parent or legal guardian, there are additional forms that will need to be completed during enrollment. These forms will be provided by the school.

  • For Kindergarten Enrollments only, please bring the following additional documents:
    Copy of certified birth certificate
    Up-to-date immunization records
    Health Assessment form (completed by the child's doctor)
3) Once you have completed the enrollment process, the new school will request the transfer of records from the previous Wilkes County school.
Other In-County Transfer Requests

Please see Wilkes County Schools Board Policy 4150 (School Assignment) for conditions under which a parent/guardian may request to attend a school other than the one that serves the student’s current residence.

If your situation meets one of the qualifying conditions, please complete the Freedom of Choice form. The principal of the school will call you to discuss your son or daughter’s enrollment.