The Wilkes County Pre-K program is based on a foundation that will:
- provide an environment that is child-centered and that encourages learning through discovery and exploration;
- recognize that children differ in rates of development, backgrounds, and experiences;
- establish a partnership between parents and school staff that supports children throughout the total school experience;
- allow children to learn fundamental skills through children's own experiences, manipulatives, and other concrete materials;
- respect play for its value as an appropriate learning medium for children;
- provide activities and lessons designed to strengthen each child's ability to cope in an ever-changing world;
- be based on research that indicates how young children develop and learn best.
Wilkes County Schools Pre-K program seeks to prepare children for school success by providing high-quality early childhood education that is based on the research of child development.