What are the qualifications to be a substitute teacher for Wilkes County Schools?
Substitute Teachers must meet the following qualifications in order to serve as a substitute teacher in the Wilkes County school district.
1. Complete Effective Teacher Training through a local community college or online through the Western R.E.S.A (Regional Education Service Alliance). Effective Teacher Training through Wilkes Community College is the preferred and recommended training. The next Effective Teacher Training will begin March 1st, 2017. Please contact Jeff Shore at 336-838-6206 or firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.
2. Schedule an appointment with Mrs. Melissa Shepherd (336-667-1121), Wilkes County Schools Human Resources Department in order to complete all pre-employment documentation and to learn about AESOP (Automated Substitute Management System).
3. Sign up to participate in an upcoming scheduled substitute teacher training.
Once these three requirements have been met, substitutes will be activated in our automated substitute management system.
What components will be covered in the Substitute Teacher Training?
• School safety
• Wilkes County Schools Code of Conduct
• General communication
• Do’s and don’ts of substitute teaching
• Bloodborn pathogens and student wellness
• Substitute teacher Q and A
What are the dates for Substitute Teacher Training for the 2016-17 school year?
→ October 18th 9:00 -10:30 a.m. or 4:00 - 5:30 p.m. and October 20th 9:00 - 10:30 a.m. or 4:00 - 5:30 p.m.
• This training will be for our current substitutes as an annual review. This training will also be for any new substitute teacher that has completed the 3 requirements above by October 17th, 2016.
→ February 9th 3:00-4:30 p.m.
• This training will be for any new substitute teacher that has completed the three requirements above from October 20th, 2016 – February 8, 2017.
→ March 22nd 10:00 - 11:30 a.m.
→ May 18th 3:00-4:30 p.m.
• This training will be for any new substitute teacher that has completed the three requirements above from February 10, 2017 – May 18, 2017.
What is the daily rate of pay for a substitute teacher?
Non-certified substitute teachers currently earn $80 per day. Certified teachers currently earn $103 per day. Minimum substitute teacher pay rates are set by the state of North Carolina.
Who should I contact if I have questions regarding substitute teaching in the Wilkes County School District?
Individuals who wish to serve as a substitute teacher may contact Melissa Shepherd @ 667-1121.