The Wilkes County Schools Pre-K Program will be accepting applications for the 2018-19 school year in the spring. The application process begins with screening events held at each of the 13 elementary schools. On the Pre-K Screening day, children will go through screening stations while parents complete the online application process.
All students applying for Pre-K for the 2018-19 school year must be at least 4 years old on or before August 31st.
Families are requested to attend the Pre-K screening event at the elementary school in their attendance district. If you are not sure what school district you live in, you may call the Transportation Department at 336-667-1126 to find out. Parents/guardians must call the school to schedule a screening appointment. See the table below to find school phone numbers and dates of screenings. A list of items required for your child's screening appointment is also provided. Please call (336) 667-1121 if you have further questions.
Thank you for your interest in the Pre-K Program! If you have questions about the current school year please contact the Pre-K Office at 336-667-1121.
You will complete your application with guidance from school personnel during your screening appointment. Call your local school for an appointment.
NOTE: If you should fill out the application ahead of your screening appointment, and it is done incorrectly, it will have to be redone correctly. It is a lengthy and detailed application.
Please bring YOUR CHILD
(who is 4-years-old on or before August 31, 2018) and the following documents to your appointment:
- Child’s certified birth certificate or adoption decree.
- Proof of income. W‐2s, Two recent check stubs or signed and dated letter from employer with hours and rate of pay are accepted, SSI Statement, Social Security Wages/Benefits Statement, Disability Payment Information, Child Support information, Direct Sales Income, Veteran Services Benefits, etc.
- Proof of guardianship. Can include birth certificate, divorce papers, Social Services paperwork, or paperwork signed by a judge awarding custody. Custody paperwork authorized by a judge or Social Services/foster care placement is required for all children not living with their natural parent.
- Names and phone numbers of emergency contacts – Two people the school may contact in case of an emergency when the parent/guardian cannot be reached. (You will need this information when completing the application.)
- Names and phone numbers of child’s doctor and dentist. (if child has a designated doctor/dentist)
- Child’s health insurance company name and policy number (if child has health insurance)
- Military branch, status, rank, and installation for any immediate family members of the child
- Proof of residency. A current utility (power or water) bill with the service address.