The designated officers of the Wilkes County Board of Education will be chairperson, vice-chairperson, chairperson pro tempore and secretary. The secretary of the Board and the chairman of the Board of Education shall be bonded by the Board.
The officers of the Board of Education will perform all duties and exercise the authority imposed or conferred upon them by the statutes of the State of North Carolina and by the State Board of Education.
A. DUTIES OF THE CHAIRPERSON
The chairperson has the following duties:
• preside at all meetings of the Board of Education;
• preserve order at all times;
• appoint committee members and chairpersons;
• serve as ex officio member of all ad hoc committees;
• call special meetings; and • sign official district documents.
The chairperson will perform all duties required of the office by law and execute all documents on behalf of the Board of Education.
In order to address the Board of Education, a member must be recognized by the chairperson. The chairperson will have the following powers:
• to rule motions in or out of order, including the right to rule out of order any motions patently offered for obstructive or dilatory purposes; • to determine whether a speaker has gone beyond reasonable standards of courtesy in his/her remarks;
• to entertain and rule on questions of parliamentary procedure;
• to call a brief recess at any time; and • to adjourn in an emergency.
The chairperson will have a vote on all matters for which a motion is made and will serve as spokesperson of the Board of Education for communicating the Board of Education’s position to the public.
B. DUTIES OF THE VICE-CHAIRPERSON
In the absence of the chairperson, the vice-chairperson of the Board of Education will assume all the rights and responsibilities of the chairperson and will perform other duties assigned by the chairperson.
C. DUTIES OF THE CHAIRPERSON PRO TEMPORE
In the absence of both the chairperson and vice-chairperson, the Board of Education may elect a chairperson pro tempore for that meeting only and the appointment of such temporary officer will be noted in the minutes. While so serving, a chairperson pro tempore performs the regular duties of the chairperson.
D. DUTIES OF BOARD OF EDUCATION SECRETARY
The superintendent will serve as ex-officio secretary to the Board of Education. The superintendent will keep the minutes of the meetings of the Board of Education but will have no vote. In the event of a vacancy in the superintendency, or if the superintendent is excluded for a closed session, the Board of Education may designate one of its members to serve temporarily as secretary to the Board of Education.
As secretary to the Board of Education, the superintendent will:
• record all proceedings of the Board of Education;
• issue all notices and orders that may be made by the Board of Education;
• ensure that the minutes of the meetings of the Board of Education are promptly, fully, and accurately recorded in the minutes book which will be kept in the office of the superintendent and be open to public inspection during regular business hours;
• manage all correspondence on behalf of the Board of Education, unless the Board of Education directs otherwise;
• prepare and distribute copies of the agenda as required by law and Board of Education policy;
• maintain Board of Education members’ manuals of policies and administrative regulations in current status;
• advise the Board of Education of policies previously adopted which affect items on the agenda requiring policy consideration;
• sign or countersign all documents that require the signature of the secretary;
• in the absence of the chairperson and vice-chairperson, call the Board of Education meeting to order and conduct the election of a chairperson pro tempore; and
• perform other duties as required by state law or Board of Education policy.
The treasurer of the Board shall be the Wilkes County Schools’ Finance Officer.
Legal References: G.S. 115C-41(a), -276(b)
Adopted: January 9, 2006