Welcome to Wilkes County Schools Child Nutrition
Goals of Child Nutrition:
- enhancing students’ ability to learn by providing nutritional meals at school;
- encouraging life-long healthy eating habits consistent with the health education curriculum;
- offering students, a variety of nutritional foods;
- providing courteous service to students, employees and authorized visitors; and
- operating the food services program efficiently so that earnings may be used to reduce the cost of food, serve better food, or supplement the costs associated with the Community Eligibility Provision.
(From Wilkes County Board Policy 6200)
Meal Service Information:
Wilkes County elementary and middle schools will continue to participate in the Community Eligibility Provision (CEP), a part of the Healthy, Hunger-Free Kids Act of 2010, during the 2017-2018 school year. CEP in Wilkes County will allow all students one free reimbursable breakfast and one free reimbursable lunch for each day the student is in attendance.
Our high schools are no longer eligible to participate in the CEP program. We will be transitioning the high schools over to the traditional free and reduced lunch program. The traditional free and reduced program allows eligible students who meet the guidelines to receive breakfast and lunch meal service at a free or reduced cost.