The purchasing function will be organized by the superintendent in a manner intended to help meet the purchasing goals of the Wilkes County Board of Education. The purchasing function includes the following responsibilities:
• making purchases for all departments in accordance with applicable laws and regulations, including the requirements of the State Division of Purchase and Contract, Board of Education policy, the superintendent’s directives, good purchasing practices and ethical principles;
• Purchases from the individual school activity fund for equipment or furniture costing more than one thousand dollars ($2,500) or more shall be authorized by the Superintendent and/or Finance Officer.
• establishing and enforcing a system for approving and accounting for purchases;
• maintaining appropriate records on price quotations of supplies most frequently purchased;
• maintaining other supplemental data to assist in making purchases at the most economical prices possible;
• establishing a practical degree of standardization of equipment, supplies and materials with sufficient flexibility to meet unique needs of schools and departments; • supervising the receiving of all materials;
• maintaining lists of potential bidders for various types of materials, equipment and supplies;
• providing information regarding bidding opportunities to vendors;
• providing information and service to schools and departments that wish to make purchases; and
• maintaining current information on all applicable laws, regulations, Board of Education policies and administrative procedures.
Legal References: G.S. 143-52; 115C-522; Division of Purchase and Contract Purchasing Manual
Cross References: Expenditure of Monies for Incentives/Staff Development Activities (Policy 8240)
Adopted: January 9, 2006