Student transportation services will be made available in a manner consistent with Wilkes County Board of Education goals. The first priority is to provide transportation to and from school to students most in need of the services.
Other transportation services may be made available as funding permits and in accordance with the legal requirements and Board of Education policy, including the following:
• state operated school buses may be used for instructional programs directly related to the curriculum when the trip and use of the bus are approved in accordance with Board of Education policy;
• school buses may be used only for purposes expressly allowed by G.S. 115C-242 and must be financed with local funds;
• school buses may be used to transport students outside Wilkes County;
• school buses will be used only during the school day between the hours of 8:15 a.m. and 2:50 p.m;
• school buses may not be used for athletic activities;
• activity buses may be used for approved school-related activities as local funding permits (see policy 6323);
• as funding permits, the Board of Education encourages the superintendent and principals to provide transportation services to enable students at risk of not meeting promotion standards to take advantage of additional or enhanced opportunities for learning.
All requests for extra transportation or additional transportation must be made in advance in writing to the Director of Transportation and are granted only with written approval. All drivers used for extra transportation must have a valid North Carolina School Bus Drivers Certificate. It is the principal’s responsibility to secure approved, qualified drivers for extra transportation.
Legal References: 49 U.S.C. 30125, 30165; G.S. 115C-239, -242; Memorandum to All Superintendents from Eddie M. Speas, Jr., Special Deputy Attorney General, January 14, 1988
Cross References: School Trips (policy 3320)
Adopted: January 9, 2006
Revised: January 13, 2014